WHICH HIGH END BABY CAR SEAT IS RIGHT FOR YOUR LITTLE ONE?
August 12, 2021
Trying to find the perfect high end baby car seat that best fits your needs? Look no further and check out this guide to baby car seats.
Finding the right car seat can feel a little bit overwhelming. What model is best? Will you need to buy multiple car seats? When do kids move between types of car seats? Thankfully, we’ll cover each of these questions in more detail later on. However, it’s important to first note that if you’re looking to cut costs on a car seat, think again. High end baby car seats are one of the most important investments you can make, and they are an investment. A quality, high end baby car seat will protect your child from the youngest age, keep them safe in an auto accident, and offer convenient features to make travel easier on tired parents.
Current Baby Car Seat Safety Standards
The safety recommendations and requirements for baby car seats change every year. However, certain states do have specific laws regarding which types of seats need to be used depending on your child’s age and weight. Consider consulting an official government website in your state of residence to determine which laws might be applicable.
In general, health experts recommend the following progression:
- Rear facing infant car seats for newborns and toddlers (0-24 months).
- Forward facing car seats for toddlers who have outgrown the height and/or weight recommendations for a rear facing seat.
- Booster seats (placed in a back seat) should be used for young kids who eventually outgrow their forward facing car seats.
Find more answers from HealthyChildren.org to numerous questions about baby car seat best practices to ensure the safety and comfort of your child, no matter their age.
What Are the Different Types of Car Seats?
If you’re expecting a new child (especially for the first time) then a durable, high end baby car seat is probably on the top of your list of things to get. However, it’s also natural to wonder whether you’ll need to get multiple car seats, and at which ages or stages of development you might have to look for the next baby car seat. Below we breakdown the most popular styles of car seats and explain the pros and cons of each depending on specific needs and age of your child. Remember that there is no exactly right answer for which model or brand to buy, or when to make the switch between styles. Your decision may depend on many factors, including budget, your preferred methods of travel, your child’s age, etc.
2-in-1 High End Baby Seat Combination
Many infant car seats will attach to a car seat base (which is secured to the vehicle bench seat via metal clips or the seat belt) and easily detach to then reconnect with a stroller base. This highly practical option is most often used for infants, and the innovative combination of a car seat and stroller makes the 2-in1 option attractive for many parents. Infant car seats can easily be taken inside so that your baby can be snugly secured before transporting them to the car. As an added benefit, if your new baby falls asleep in the car, simply disconnect their car seat from the base and secure them in the stroller without causing a disturbance. These infant car seats are easy to use on the go with a convenient handle and (usually) a built-in shade pull-over to cover your baby.
Convertible Car Seats
Some high end baby car seats are designed to adapt to your child’s age, weight and size as they develop. This style, called a convertible car seat, features additional padding and the ability to pivot on the base so that it maintains a safe angle as children grow taller. As your children get older, the smaller portions of padding will be removed to create more space for their legs, shoulders, arms and head. Unlike the 2-in-1 car seats, convertible models do not disconnect from the base for easy combination with a stroller base. Instead, convertible car seats stay in the vehicle and you pick up your child to strap them into the seat.
The primary difference between a booster seat and a car seat is that the vehicle’s seat belt is the primary form of restraint in a booster seat. Conversely, a car seat is mounted to the seat itself via a seatbelt or clips that attach to metal components in the seat bench. In a car seat, a specially designed multi-point harness is provided for safe and effective restraint. With a booster seat, your child will sit in the seat but only be restrained by the actual seat belt.
Booster seats (either backless or a high back) are used for older children to help provide additional support and ensure that the seat belt provides properly and safely distributed restraint if an accident occurs. Specifically, a booster seat will make sure that your child is positioned at the proper height so that the seat belt crosses their lap and shoulders, not their tummy and neck.
Although parents have different reasons and timing for transitioning to and from a booster seat, it’s most typical for kids to make the switch around 5 years of age or 40 pounds. We recommend doing further research to determine if your child is ready to graduate from a forward-facing car seat to a booster seat.
Best High End Baby Car Seats by Model
2-in1 Car Seat/Stroller Combination
With superior safety standards, remarkable features and an attractive modern design the Doona Infant Car Seat and Stroller has become a favorite combination model for parents. Each part of the Doona combination seat and stroller has been individually tested to ensure it meets or exceeds all regulations, no matter how it’s being used.
- One simple motion operation car seat to stroller.
- Adjustable handlebar - acts as an anti-rebound bar.
- 5-point harness for total security.
- Rear-facing only - ideal for infants and toddlers.
- Highest safety & quality standards.
- TUV and FAA aircraft approved for travel.
- Removable and washable textiles.
- Baby-safe materials/breathable textiles and inner foams.
Convertible Car Seats
A continual leader in baby seat innovation and quality, the Cybex Sirona M Sensorsafe car seat has received high ratings from parents due to its reliability, quality and highly adaptable design. The cutting edge Sensorsafe 2.0 technology helps alert parents to unsafe situations and the Linear Impact Protection offers additional protection if a collision occurs.
- Integrated SensorSafe 2.0 Technology monitors the well-being of the seated child.
- Adjustable Linear Side Impact Protection System.
- 12-position height adjustable headrest with no-rethread harness.
- Caregiver peace of mind with the SensorSafe 2.0 smartphone application.
- Rearward installation up to 40 lbs., Forward installation up to 65 lbs.
A simple, sleek design that looks great in any vehicle makes the UPPAbaby ALTA Booster Seat a go-to choice for many parents who want the best combination of value and superior design. Thoughtful design features make this booster seat a top option for comfort, security and safety.
- Seven position adjustable headrest and spacious design accommodate growing children.
- Energy Response Headrest utilizes absorption and recovery properties of memory and EPP foam to provide advanced Side Impact Protection.
- SMART SIP Pods on side of shell disperse forces in the event of a side impact crash.
- High-back belt positioning booster with SECUREFit belt routing system ensures proper fit for both lap and shoulder belt while preventing belt slippage and misplacement. Required Lap-Belt Positioner secures and positions the vehicle lap belt for proper fit and prevents submarining.
Unique High End Baby Car Seat Options
Some high-end premium car seats have been carefully designed with remarkable safety features and thoughtful accommodations for your child’s comfort and overall well being. These features include leg rests, wool inserts, additional safety padding, smart sensors that integrate with your vehicle's internal safety system and much more.
Cybex Sirona S
Aside from it’s innovative safety sensors, the Cybex Sirona S SensorSafe is a beautifully designed car seat that is the first to offer both front and rear facing capabilities on the same base.
- Innovative, one-hand 360° rotatable seat allows parents to easily get their child in and out.
- Load leg stabilizes the car seat and can reduce rotation in certain crashes by up to 30%.
- Only Convertible Car Seat in North America with a one-time vehicle belt installation for both rear-facing and forward-facing mode.
- EasyLock™ bar reduces the force needed up to 4x for quick, simple, and secure installation.
- Smart-tech harness chest clip with SensorSafe™ technology alerts parents if their child becomes unbuckled, the car temp gets too warm or unsafe conditions to arise.
- SensorSafe™ is compatible with most vehicles 2008 or newer with an OBD II port. For some electric vehicles, contact Parentlink as an additional adapter may be needed.
- 12-position recline adjustment even while the seat is in use.
- Linear Side-impact Protection absorbs up to 25% more impact in a collision*.
- Anti-rebound design reduces car seat rebound movement.
- Magnetic buckle holders make entry and exit from the seat a breeze.
- Dishwasher safe cup holder can be positioned on either side of the seat.
- 12-position, height-adjustable headrest with no-rethread harness.
- Dual-level indicators help ensure the proper car seat angle.
- Steel reinforced frame provides strength and durability.
- Harness pads and 3-position padded buckle provide extra comfort.
- Removable newborn insert provides support for small babies.
- Innovative one-pull LATCH removal system.
- LATCH Connection storage inside the base when not in use.
- Rear-facing from 4 lbs. to 50 lbs. Forward-facing from 22 lbs. to 65 lbs.
Nuna EXEC All In One Car Seat
A clear leader in luxury baby car seats, the Nuna EXEC All In One model has tons of added features to protect and comfort your child, even during long trips in the car.
- Simply™ secure installation.
- All-in-one car seat converts from rear facing to forward facing to booster mode.
- Fits three across in most midsize vehicles.
- Aeroflex™ side impact protection system.
- Dual flip-open cupholders.
- Magnetic harness keepers.
- Spring touch shoulder belt guides aid in proper belt routing for big kids.
- From fabric to foam and beyond, each element is smartly sourced to be both flame resistant and contain no added fire retardant chemicals.
- Adjustable anti-rebound panel and leg rest combination provides extended rear facing comfort and gives additional leg room forward facing.
- No rethread five-point harness easily stores inside the seat for booster mode.
- Can have children rear facing up to a whopping 50 lbs!
- Energy absorbing foam and side impact protection (SIP) pods take side impact security to the next level.
- Infant head and body inserts are removable to grow with baby.
- Ventilation panels within the shell and breathable (and washable) knit fabric create a comfy climate for even the longest of trips.
- Adjustable leg rest.