YOUR GUIDE TO BACK TO SCHOOL ESSENTIALS
June 8, 2022
There’s enough headaches to deal with when kids are headed back to school, especially with so much uncertainty around how schooling will be done and expectations for hybrid vs. full-time in person classes. When are you supposed to have time to get everyone out of the house to stock up on school essentials? New clothes, supplies, lunch boxes, shoes, and lots of other back to school essentials might have you driving around for hours and waiting in endless lines. We’ve saved you time that might otherwise be spent frantically creating a back to school shopping list. The best part is that you can do all of your shopping right here at NINI and LOLI! Continue reading for a complete list of recommendations for the most important back to school essentials you need as the bell rings and kids head back to classrooms this Fall.
Back to School Kids Clothes
No matter how your child’s school is set up this year, they’ve likely outgrown last year’s favorites. In addition to plenty of versatile and durable outfits that work well for daily wear, you’re also going to want some school essentials that keep kids warm during chilly mornings waiting for the bus or to be picked up after school. Here are our picks for essential back to school kids clothes.
- If you live in northern parts of the U.S. then there’s no escaping the need for rugged winter boots that keep little toes toasty warm - starting at the toddler stage. Waterproof boots with grippy soles and insulated liners will help keep your child comfortable and safe during walks from the car to the classroom and beyond.
- Everyday shoes should be sturdy enough to provide support and comfortable enough for all day wear indoors and outdoors. Most parents opt for a lace-up tennis shoe that can be worn with jeans and most other types of casual outfits.
- A reliable winter jacket is crucial for surviving the coldest months of the year, no matter how well you’ve layered your children’s clothes underneath. Basic features to look for include a water resistant outer shell, and insulated interior, a hood, and ample pocket storage space for phones and other items they you kids might want quickly accessible.
- We know all too well that no matter where you live, the Fall and Spring seasons are likely to bring rain. Keep your kids dry and comfortable with a jacket that will repel the rain and provide some warmth during those chilly outdoor walks or sideline soccer game cheering sessions. This adorable color changing kids raincoat from Holly and Beau has a delightful zebra print on the outside, and the shell material actually changes color when it comes into contact with water. The easy zip closure, hood, and soft lined interior make this an ideal choice for your child’s next raincoat.
Where will your kids store all of their books, snacks, school supplies, a change of clothes, and everything else that they bring to school on a daily basis? An appropriately-sized and high-quality back will make your child’s back to school transition much easier. Plus, a cool design or unique look might bake their new backpack your child’s favorite part of back to school kids clothes shopping.
- This Mini Backpacks from 7AM is one of the most stylish and practical models we’ve seen. Get your child pumped about packing for school each morning with a backpack that they love to wear and show off to friends. The simple design features a large central pocket area with two interior compartments and a smaller zippered pocket. The addition of an exterior zippered pocket makes it easy to store things that need to be accessed on the go. Easy grab handles and padded shoulder straps make this backpack ideal for all day use and suitable for kids of all ages.
- For an absolutely one-of-a-kind design that you little one will love, try the Dabbawalla Backpacks. The outer face of the backpack has a silly, smiling monkey face that kids love, especially at young ages. The exterior zippered pocket is large enough to provide lots of extra storage, and a mesh pocket on the side is perfect for holding a water bottle or quick snack. The spacious main compartment even has an insulated area for lunches or snacks that need to be kept cold until break time!
- The The Herschel Heritage Backpacks colors (from State Bags) is the perfect choice for a classic backpack that looks amazing and gets the job done every day. With multiple exterior pockets and pouches, plus a roomy interior, this backpack has plenty of space and style for any gender and age of child.
- For a backpack that really “packs a punch,” look no further than the Mini Kane line from State Bags. The quality of State Bags’ production is evident in the materials and construction, while the design is irresistible to imaginations that love dinosaurs, superheroes, and animals. While this backpack is a little bit more “grown-up” than other options, it’s ideally sized for a child that’s starting elementary school and has plenty of storage for a full day out of the house.
Depending on your child’s schooling situation and age, their school supply needs will vary. However, most kids will need some basic writing utensils like a pen or pencil, and a notebook and binder (or some way of storing and organizing papers, handouts, and notes from class). This 9-piece neon washable marker set from Omy Design is a fun and colorful addition to any set of school essentials, and don’t forget a lot of extra pencils, like this set of chrome colored mechanical pencils from Ooly.
Desks and Chairs
Chances are high that your child will be doing a lot of studying and homework from their bedroom or the family room. Keep the kitchen table for dinner, and help your child set up a creative space for work and play with a quality, fashionable desk and chair combo.
- The Juno doublewide desk has tons of storage and a large, flat work surface that’s great for diligent study, assembling puzzles during a time of quiet play, or building block cities. A set of 3 large drawers on either side of the desk provides plenty of room for books and other materials. As many parents expect from maker Studio Duc, the Juno desk series is made of quality birch with non-toxic materials.
- For a smaller desk that has unparalleled style, look no further than the Brooklyn desk by Oeuf. The reconfigurable desktop storage bins and beautiful curved wood design might make friends and parents jealous of this desk.
- Even though your toddler might not be in school full time, they still need a place to sit and stretch their brain too, right? The table and chair combo from Plantoys is a perfect option for parents that need a place for their younger age children to work on games and thumb through books. As an added bonus, the surface of the desk can be drawn on with chalk and then easily wiped off!
Health & Wellness
Many schools are taking their own safety precautions, but we think it’s better to be safe than sorry. Below are a few simple recommendations for school essentials that will have your child feeling and staying their best all year.
- This fragrance free hand sanitizer from Gryph and Ivy kills 99% of germs without leaving sticky residue. Healthy ingredients include Aloe Leaf, Green Tea extract, and 65% Ethyl alcohol.
- Masks mandates are still quite different on a state-by-state basis, but it’s likely that your child will need a few different washable masks for school this year. A fun option like this tropical design mask from Kushies will make it feel like less of a chore!
- Pack this squeezable snacker bottle with smoothie or juice to give your child a healthy snack option on the go!
- This dinosaur water bottle is a reliable stainless steel model that also includes a straw option for drinking from the top. This water bottle is also designed specifically to keep drinks hot or cold all day!
- This uniquely designed bento lunch box, made by OmieBox, features different temperature zones that will keep different parts of your child’s lunch either cold or hot depending on what they’ve brought to eat that day! The airtight seal keeps food tasting fresh for hours until lunch or dinner.
What if I’m Doing School at Home?
We fully recognize and understand that everyone’s family situation is different. Full-time school might not be the best option or even possible for your family right now. If you’re preparing to have young kids primarily at home this school year, you’ll want to have plenty of teaching books, puzzles, crafts, and other supplies easily available. NINI and LOLI has lots of educational toys that are specifically chosen to help your child develop according to Montessori principles. In fact, you can even search our site for Montessori-inspired toys here.